- Bettie's Box Office: Shaun the Sheep Movie Review
- Bettie's Box Office: Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation Review
- City of Austin Gets C- in Music City Report Card
- Bettie's Box Office: Vacation Review
- Review: Southpaw
- Bettie's Box Office: Pixels Review
- Blake Shelton, Miranda Lambert divorce after 4 years
- Bettie's Box Office: Trainwreck Review
- Omar Sharif, of 'Doctor Zhivago,' 'Lawrence of Arabia,' dies
- Review: Self/less
- Bettie's Box Office: Amy Review
- Bettie's Box Office: Terminator Genisys Review
- Apple changes tune on music royalties after Swift complains
- Review: Inside Out
- Bettie's Box Office: Inside Out Review
- Review: Jurassic World
- Prolific British actor Christopher Lee dies at age 93
- Brian Wilson with Rodriguez in Austin
- Unreleased copy of '50 Shades' sequel novel stolen
- Benefit Concert This Weekend For Central Texas Flood Victims
- Review: Entourage
- Review: Spy
- Review: Love & Mercy
- Jon Batiste Named Bandleader Of CBS' New Colbert 'Late Show'
- Bettie's Box Office: Tomorrowland Review
- David Letterman To Sign Off As Late-Night Host
- Review: Mad Max: Fury Road
- Austin Mini Maker Faire
- BODY WORLDS & The Cycle of Life
- Bettie's Box Office: Hot Pursuit Movie Review
- 'Stand By Me' Singer Ben E. King Dead At Age 76
- The Off-Centered Film Festival
- Annie The Musical
- Bettie's Box Office: While We're Young Review
- Review: Furious 7
- Bettie's Box Office: Woman In Gold Review
- SXSW Film 2015 Audience Award Winners
- The Overnight
- Love & Mercy
- Get Hard at SXSW
- Guest Room
- FX's The Comedians
- Ex-Machina Headlines
- Hello, My Name Is Doris
- SXSW: The Final Girls
- The Last Man on the Moon
- Ned Rifle
- Bettie's Box Office: Love & Mercy Review
"Supermensch: The Legend of Shep Gordon"
Updated: Monday, June 2 2014, 12:20 AM CDT
Supermensch: The Legend of Shep Gordon was hands down the best film that I saw at SXSW, brought to us by Mike Myers in his directorial debut. In 1991, Myers got to know Shep Gordon because Mike Myers wanted to use an Alice Cooper song in the movie, Wayne's World, and he had to get the rights to it through Shep. Through that experience, they because friends and even though most people don't know who Shep Gordon is, Myers wants to share him with the world.
Mensch means a decent, upright, and responsible individual. Well after watching this, you will understand why Myers regards Shep Gordon so highly that he refers to him as a supermensch. Shep Gordon fell into music management right out of college when he moved to LA. He managed rock stars such as Alice Cooper, Luther Vandross, and Teddy Pendergrass. He was the mastermind that brought Alice Cooper to fame through antics such as making a bus, plastered with an advertisement of Alice Cooper naked with a boa constrictor over his privates, break down right in the heart of London so that it would be all over the news and grab everyone's attention. It did! He knew how to draw interest by putting Alice Cooper in between The Doors and John Lennon during a music festival.
Gordon also managed folk singer, Anne Murray. To spark conversation, Shep asked a big favor from some friends and got John Lennon, Harry Nilsson, Alice Cooper, and The Monkees' Micky Dolenz to take a picture with Anne at a Hollywood party in 1974. When that picture hit the papers, everyone was rushing out to buy her album.
Gordon went on to create the celebrity chef. He noticed that celebrities had products such as shoes, but in the grocery stores, you only saw labels like Chef Boyardee. He met Emeril Lagasse and helped bring his spices to the grocery stores. Most famous chefs didn't make much money and couldn't even eat in the restaurants they worked in, but Shep changed all that.
Myers touches not only on Shep Gordon as a business man, but the decent person he is in his personal life. Shep bought a place in Hawaii with an open door policy. Celebrities and friends can come to get away from whatever they are going through. Mike Myers asked to come for a week to work through some things and ended staying for a few months. Myers shows the loving, caring man Shep is who is a firm believer that how ever you treat people, karma will bring it back to you.
I do promise you this. After watching Supermensch: The Legend of Shep Gordon, you will want to be a better person and from a person that you never even knew about.
By Ken The Critic @kenthecritic