- Property Crime More Prevalent In Austin Than Other Similarly Sized Cities
- Businesses Hope More APD Officers Will Mean Less Graffiti
- Suspect From Round Rock Car Chase Identified
- Police Trying To Return USB Drive Seized From Juvenile Burglary Suspects
- 2 Men Captured After WilCo Car Chase
- Austin Car Burglaries Spike To Highest Number In Years
- UT Spending $1.7M To Study Sexual Assault On Campus
- APD: Accused Shoplifter Hit Thrift Store Employee With Car During Escape
- Homeowner Holds NE Austin Burglary Suspect at Gun Point
- U.S. Marshals Searching For Man Wanted For Evading Arrest In Cedar Park
- Emails From Former APD Officer Shed Light On Firing
- Fugitive Wanted For South Austin Assault Arrested In Ohio
- 2 Round Rock Home Invasion Suspects Arrested In Hutto
- Fired APD Officer Connected To Samantha Dean Murder Now In Indonesia
- APD Fires Officer Linked To Dean Murder Case
- APD Investigating West Campus Murder
- Squatters Vandalize Elderly Couple's South Austin Home
- APD: Teen Killed In West Campus, Suspect In Custody
- APD: Father Arrested For DWI With Child In Car
- Man Accused Of Sexually Assaulting Leander Teen
- Police: Man Exposed Himself To Child At San Marcos Whataburger
- Neighbor Spots Accused Kidnapper Cutting Through His Yard
- Supreme Court Rules Police Can't Extend Traffic Stops
- UPDATED: Search warrant reveals APD officer wanted Samantha Dean to abort baby
- Online Date Turns Into Trap For Austin Man
- Trial Date Set In Case Of Former APD Detective Charged With Manslaughter
- New $29 Million Georgetown Emergency Operations Center
- Neighbors Help Austin Police Catch Accused Burglar
- UPDATE: Leander Shooting Suspect In Custody
- Police Identify Suspect, Victim Of Downtown Omni Hotel Shooting
- Uninvited Guest Surprises East Austin Homeowner
- Buda Police Use Self-activating Body Cams
- FBI Issues July 4th Warning
- APD: Man Raped Woman at SafePlace
- Escaped Inmate Continues To Elude Police
- Suspect In South Austin HEB Throat Slashing Now In Custody
- 3rd Person Linked To Dean Murder Investigation
- New Details In Slain Kyle Police Employee's Murder
- Documents: 2 Suspects Identified In Samantha Dean Murder
- EMS Responds To Dozens of Synthetic Marijuana Calls
- WilCo Judge Pleads Guilty To Firearms Violation, Lying To Federal Agent
- 1 Killed In NE Travis Co. Shooting
- Police Still Searching For Clues In Woman's Death
- Shoppers Shocked By Brutal Attack At South Austin HEB Parking Lot
- Twin Peaks Shooting May Have Started After Parking Lot Argument
- San Marcos Police Ask For Makeover For Military Vehicle
- UPDATE: Woman Hides In Garage As Suspected Burglars Break Into Her Home
- 170 Charged After Biker Gang Shootout In Waco
- New Intersections For Don't Block The Box Enforcement
- Local Bikers Blame Gang Label On A Few Members
2 Charged In South Austin Shooting Death
Updated: Wednesday, July 2 2014, 06:35 PM CDT
6:30 p.m. UPDATE: Investigators say the weapon used in the shooting was stolen from a University of Texas police officer's vehicle in Pflugerville.
Two people have been charged over the death of a teen found shot in the middle of a South Austin street last month.
Patrick Molina, 18, has been charged with manslaughter in the death of 17-year-old Justice Rain Presto and Kent Haley, 18, is charged with tampering with evidence.
Police say Molina was playing with a handgun when it discharged, hitting Presto in the neck.
"Instead of immediately calling 911 the victim was moved to Haley's vehicle and removed from the scene," APD Sergeant Brian Miller said.
Police say Haley and Molina also attempted to clean up the crime scene.
Investigators say on Sunday, June 22 officers were dispatched at around 10:30 p.m. to a shooting call at 4500 block of Lareina Drive, just south of East Ben White Boulevard between South 1st Street and South Congress Boulevard.
When officers arrived they found Presto dead in the roadway.
Detectives say they were able to link the incident to a shots fired call that occurred about the same time at an apartment complex in the 700 block of West William Cannon Drive.
The gun used in the crime and vests and bullets found at scene are stolen from a police officer's personal vehicle, investigators say. At this time police have not disclosed what department the officer worked for.
Warrants were issued for the arrest of both Molina and Haley -- both turned themselves in Wednesday afternoon and bonded out later that evening.