- Court Documents: VonTrey Clark Charged With Capital Murder
- Llano Co. Man Sentenced To 50 Years For Toddlers Death
- Central TX Law Enforcement On High Alert Following String of Officer Shootings
- Man Busted Allegedly Burglarizing Popular Downtown Bar
- Man arrested after having marijuana delivered to Austin shipping store
- Construction Worker's Body Found Under East Austin Home
- APD Investigating Shot Fired Call In North Austin
- Bond Between Fayette Co. K-9, Handler Secret To Their Success
- Suspect In Killing Of Harris Co. Deputy Previously Arrested In Austin
- Man Busted For 7th DWI In North Travis Co.
- City Of Austin IT Worker Charged With Stealing Equipment
- Houston DJ Arrested In NW Austin For Alleged Home Invasion
- APD: Downtown Austin DWI Suspect Had BAC 4 Times Legal Limit
- Reward offered for arrest of sex offender who escaped Houston facility
- Parents React To Baby Carjacking In Austin
- Investigators find huge psychedelic mushroom grow operation in a house
- Man Steals Car With Baby Inside
- Food Trucks Band Together To Catch Thief
- Dashcam Video Released Of Man Shooting At New Braunfels Police Officers
- Woman Found Dead From Gunshot Wound At Pflugerville Home Identified
- APD Searching For Cigarette Burglary Suspect
- Adding Officers, Building Relationships Could Help Austin Property Crime Problem
- Police On The Hunt For Truck Wheel Thieves
- APD Looking For Owner Of Stolen East Austin Bicycle
- Austin Dad Accused Of Driving Son To School While Drunk
- Nicaraguan Man Set To Be Executed In Texas Gets Reprieve
- Police Identify Robbery Suspects Targeting Women In Downtown Austin
- New Braunfels Man Arrested On Child Porn Charges
- APD Investigates Rash Of Cat Mutilation Cases In South Austin
- Graffiti Vandals Targeting Lakeway Business
- 70lbs Of Marijuana Seized After Fayette Co. Traffic Stop
- Tickets Adding Up At Austin's Don't Block The Box Intersections
- UT student assaulted outside residence hall early Sunday morning
- Capitol Arson Suspect Brought Back To Texas
- 9 Months Pregnant Mother Helps Police Catch Burglar
- An Old Driver's License Can Be Dangerous To Leave Around
- Ex-Con Missing After Harassing Women, Violating Parole
- ICE Arrests 61 Undocumented Immigrants With Criminal Convictions
- Austin Woman Confronts, Tackles Unknown Man In Her Home
- Arson Suspected In East Austin Boarding House Fire
- Wells Fargo Bank Robbed In SW Austin
- Texas Man Again Convicted In 1976 Bus Attendant Slaying
- College Women, Including In Austin, Targeted In Prostitution Ring
- Robbery Suspect Shot By TCSO Deputy Identified
- Woman Hits Teen With Car, Drives Away Thinking It Was Prank
- TCSO: Screaming Woman Busted With PCP At Apartment Complex Pool
- VonTrey Clark Could Be Back In Texas Soon
- Robbery Suspect Shot By Deputy In North Travis Co.
- Meagan Work's Defense Team Focus On Her Medical Condition
- Competitive knife thrower arrested for bringing knife into Austin courthouse
3 Attacks Near UT Have Students Concerned
Updated: Monday, February 24 2014, 08:49 PM CST
Three attacks near the University of Texas with little to no leads have students uneasy around campus.
All the incidents happened in February, police say.
The most recent involved a student about a week ago. She claims a panhandler attacked her on Guadalupe Street near the Drag.
Another occurred Feb. 3. Police say a woman was walking home early Monday morning near the West 25th Street and San Gabriel Street intersection when she says someone attacked her from behind. She got away but was not able to get a good look at the suspect.
The third happened the next day. Police say around 1 a.m. a woman was reportedly forced into a black 4-door 4x4 pickup truck, possibly a Ford, by two males. No description is available for the female or one of the male suspects; the other male is described as possibly a man, wearing a grey short sleeve t-shirt, blue jeans, and baseball cap.
With little information on all of the cases students are concerned.
"It's a pretty dangerous environment walking back from campus so there are always those horror stories," said student Breanne Deppisch.
Student Cheryl Lam said, "Sometimes I carry pepper spray."
Even stores on the Drag are taking notice of the incidents.
"There are times I do feel unsafe," said Darby Dupre.
Dupre has worked at Manju's for four years. She says the store owners do whatever they can to keep them safe.
"Two of us are working at all times to ensure safety and in case anything happens," said Dupre.
University of Texas Police believes the buddy system is the key to protecting yourself.
"Awareness is always a key thing. We want our students to walk with a purpose, be aware of their surroundings, pay attention and if they see something suspicious contact the police," said Officer William Pieper.
If you do not have someone to walk with, Pieper explains there are programs like SURE Walk to help you. The student government run agency provides the service Monday through Thursday from 10 p.m. – 2 a.m. during the fall and spring semesters. To order a walk, call 512-232-9255 or email email@example.com, and two volunteers, one male and one female, will meet you at your current location and walk you to your destination, whether it be on campus or in the greater campus neighborhoods.
If you are in immediate danger contact UTPD at 512-471-4441 or call 911.