- Former APD Officer Could Face Death Penalty For Girlfriend's Murder
- TCSO: Robbery Suspect Trying To Steal UT Flag Stabbed By Homeowner
- Ex-APD Officer Charged With Capital Murder In Girlfriend's Death, Held Without Bond
- 4 Arrested In Cedar Park Meth Bust
- Ex-APD Officer Sought In Samantha Dean Murder Now In Bastrop County Jail
- Llano Co. Man Sentenced To 50 Years For Toddlers Death
- Court Documents: VonTrey Clark Charged With Capital Murder
- Central TX Law Enforcement On High Alert Following String of Officer Shootings
- Man Busted Allegedly Burglarizing Popular Downtown Bar
- Man arrested after having marijuana delivered to Austin shipping store
- Worker's Death At East Austin Home Ruled Accidental Electrocution
- APD Investigating Shot Fired Call In North Austin
- Bond Between Fayette Co. K-9, Handler Secret To Their Success
- Suspect In Killing Of Harris Co. Deputy Previously Arrested In Austin
- Man Busted For 7th DWI In North Travis Co.
- City Of Austin IT Worker Charged With Stealing Equipment
- Houston DJ Arrested In NW Austin For Alleged Home Invasion
- APD: Downtown Austin DWI Suspect Had BAC 4 Times Legal Limit
- Reward offered for arrest of sex offender who escaped Houston facility
- Parents React To Baby Carjacking In Austin
- Investigators find huge psychedelic mushroom grow operation in a house
- Man Steals Car With Baby Inside
- Food Trucks Band Together To Catch Thief
- Dashcam Video Released Of Man Shooting At New Braunfels Police Officers
- Woman Found Dead From Gunshot Wound At Pflugerville Home Identified
- APD Searching For Cigarette Burglary Suspect
- Adding Officers, Building Relationships Could Help Austin Property Crime Problem
- Police On The Hunt For Truck Wheel Thieves
- APD Looking For Owner Of Stolen East Austin Bicycle
- Austin Dad Accused Of Driving Son To School While Drunk
- Nicaraguan Man Set To Be Executed In Texas Gets Reprieve
- Police Identify Robbery Suspects Targeting Women In Downtown Austin
- New Braunfels Man Arrested On Child Porn Charges
- APD Investigates Rash Of Cat Mutilation Cases In South Austin
- Graffiti Vandals Targeting Lakeway Business
- 70lbs Of Marijuana Seized After Fayette Co. Traffic Stop
- Tickets Adding Up At Austin's Don't Block The Box Intersections
- UT student assaulted outside residence hall early Sunday morning
- Capitol Arson Suspect Brought Back To Texas
- 9 Months Pregnant Mother Helps Police Catch Burglar
- An Old Driver's License Can Be Dangerous To Leave Around
- Ex-Con Missing After Harassing Women, Violating Parole
- ICE Arrests 61 Undocumented Immigrants With Criminal Convictions
- Austin Woman Confronts, Tackles Unknown Man In Her Home
- Arson Suspected In East Austin Boarding House Fire
- Wells Fargo Bank Robbed In SW Austin
- Texas Man Again Convicted In 1976 Bus Attendant Slaying
- College Women, Including In Austin, Targeted In Prostitution Ring
- Robbery Suspect Shot By TCSO Deputy Identified
- Woman Hits Teen With Car, Drives Away Thinking It Was Prank
APD: Austin Axe Burglar Caught In New Mexico
Updated: Monday, February 10 2014, 05:40 PM CST
David Zimmerman's neighbor awoke to a man inside his home armed with an axe.
"I was awakened by the helicopters, the police had come out," recalled Zimmerman.
According to an arrest affidavit the "suspect ran out the rear door, leaving behind a blue-bladed, wooded handle axe."
But that's not all he left behind.
Cops on scene were able to locate a Sketcher tennis shoe in the driveway of the victim's home. In it they found a pair of socks and other pieces of clothing folded in the shoe. Detectives were able to determine that it belonged to the suspect who is missing his right foot.
Detectives made the connection when 60-year-old Gary Whiteis was detained for allegedly casing a home located less than a mile away.
"One of the officers on scene did recognize the fact that he did match the suspect description closely of the week prior of the burglary," said Austin police commander Todd Gage.
At that point the DNA tests from the original break-in hadn't come back with a match so police let Whiteis go. He escaped to Roswell, New Mexico but couldn't hide from the law.
"They set up surveillance and waited for him to get out. When he came out of his home they arrested him before getting into his vehicle," said Lone Star Fugitive Task Force spokesman Hector Gomez.
Whiteis is charged with burglary of a residence. He could face additional charges.
(Photo from the Chaves County Sheriff's Office.)