- Police Trying To Return USB Drive Seized From Juvenile Burglary Suspects
- Suspect From Round Rock Car Chase Identified
- 2 Men Captured After WilCo Car Chase
- Austin Car Burglaries Spike To Highest Number In Years
- UT Spending $1.7M To Study Sexual Assault On Campus
- APD: Accused Shoplifter Hit Thrift Store Employee With Car During Escape
- Homeowner Holds NE Austin Burglary Suspect at Gun Point
- U.S. Marshals Searching For Man Wanted For Evading Arrest In Cedar Park
- Emails From Former APD Officer Shed Light On Firing
- Fugitive Wanted For South Austin Assault Arrested In Ohio
- 2 Round Rock Home Invasion Suspects Arrested In Hutto
- Fired APD Officer Connected To Samantha Dean Murder Now In Indonesia
- APD Fires Officer Linked To Dean Murder Case
- APD Investigating West Campus Murder
- Squatters Vandalize Elderly Couple's South Austin Home
- APD: Teen Killed In West Campus, Suspect In Custody
- APD: Father Arrested For DWI With Child In Car
- Man Accused Of Sexually Assaulting Leander Teen
- Police: Man Exposed Himself To Child At San Marcos Whataburger
- Neighbor Spots Accused Kidnapper Cutting Through His Yard
- Supreme Court Rules Police Can't Extend Traffic Stops
- UPDATED: Search warrant reveals APD officer wanted Samantha Dean to abort baby
- Online Date Turns Into Trap For Austin Man
- Trial Date Set In Case Of Former APD Detective Charged With Manslaughter
- New $29 Million Georgetown Emergency Operations Center
- Neighbors Help Austin Police Catch Accused Burglar
- UPDATE: Leander Shooting Suspect In Custody
- Police Identify Suspect, Victim Of Downtown Omni Hotel Shooting
- Uninvited Guest Surprises East Austin Homeowner
- Buda Police Use Self-activating Body Cams
- FBI Issues July 4th Warning
- APD: Man Raped Woman at SafePlace
- Escaped Inmate Continues To Elude Police
- Suspect In South Austin HEB Throat Slashing Now In Custody
- 3rd Person Linked To Dean Murder Investigation
- New Details In Slain Kyle Police Employee's Murder
- Documents: 2 Suspects Identified In Samantha Dean Murder
- EMS Responds To Dozens of Synthetic Marijuana Calls
- WilCo Judge Pleads Guilty To Firearms Violation, Lying To Federal Agent
- 1 Killed In NE Travis Co. Shooting
- Police Still Searching For Clues In Woman's Death
- Shoppers Shocked By Brutal Attack At South Austin HEB Parking Lot
- Twin Peaks Shooting May Have Started After Parking Lot Argument
- San Marcos Police Ask For Makeover For Military Vehicle
- UPDATE: Woman Hides In Garage As Suspected Burglars Break Into Her Home
- 170 Charged After Biker Gang Shootout In Waco
- New Intersections For Don't Block The Box Enforcement
- Local Bikers Blame Gang Label On A Few Members
- Hutto Volleyball Coach Arrest Shocks Former Player's Mother
- Hutto PD: Volleyball Coach Sexually Assaulted Teen
APD: Austin Axe Burglar Caught In New Mexico
Updated: Monday, February 10 2014, 05:40 PM CST
David Zimmerman's neighbor awoke to a man inside his home armed with an axe.
"I was awakened by the helicopters, the police had come out," recalled Zimmerman.
According to an arrest affidavit the "suspect ran out the rear door, leaving behind a blue-bladed, wooded handle axe."
But that's not all he left behind.
Cops on scene were able to locate a Sketcher tennis shoe in the driveway of the victim's home. In it they found a pair of socks and other pieces of clothing folded in the shoe. Detectives were able to determine that it belonged to the suspect who is missing his right foot.
Detectives made the connection when 60-year-old Gary Whiteis was detained for allegedly casing a home located less than a mile away.
"One of the officers on scene did recognize the fact that he did match the suspect description closely of the week prior of the burglary," said Austin police commander Todd Gage.
At that point the DNA tests from the original break-in hadn't come back with a match so police let Whiteis go. He escaped to Roswell, New Mexico but couldn't hide from the law.
"They set up surveillance and waited for him to get out. When he came out of his home they arrested him before getting into his vehicle," said Lone Star Fugitive Task Force spokesman Hector Gomez.
Whiteis is charged with burglary of a residence. He could face additional charges.
(Photo from the Chaves County Sheriff's Office.)