- Austin Car Burglaries Spike To Highest Number In Years
- UT Spending $1.7M To Study Sexual Assault On Campus
- APD: Accused Shoplifter Hit Thrift Store Employee With Car During Escape
- Homeowner Holds NE Austin Burglary Suspect at Gun Point
- U.S. Marshals Searching For Man Wanted For Evading Arrest In Cedar Park
- Emails From Former APD Officer Shed Light On Firing
- Fugitive Wanted For South Austin Assault Arrested In Ohio
- 2 Round Rock Home Invasion Suspects Arrested In Hutto
- Fired APD Officer Connected To Samantha Dean Murder Now In Indonesia
- APD Fires Officer Linked To Dean Murder Case
- APD Investigating West Campus Murder
- Squatters Vandalize Elderly Couple's South Austin Home
- APD: Teen Killed In West Campus, Suspect In Custody
- APD: Father Arrested For DWI With Child In Car
- Man Accused Of Sexually Assaulting Leander Teen
- Police: Man Exposed Himself To Child At San Marcos Whataburger
- Neighbor Spots Accused Kidnapper Cutting Through His Yard
- Supreme Court Rules Police Can't Extend Traffic Stops
- UPDATED: Search warrant reveals APD officer wanted Samantha Dean to abort baby
- Online Date Turns Into Trap For Austin Man
- Trial Date Set In Case Of Former APD Detective Charged With Manslaughter
- New $29 Million Georgetown Emergency Operations Center
- Neighbors Help Austin Police Catch Accused Burglar
- UPDATE: Leander Shooting Suspect In Custody
- Police Identify Suspect, Victim Of Downtown Omni Hotel Shooting
- Uninvited Guest Surprises East Austin Homeowner
- Buda Police Use Self-activating Body Cams
- FBI Issues July 4th Warning
- APD: Man Raped Woman at SafePlace
- Escaped Inmate Continues To Elude Police
- Suspect In South Austin HEB Throat Slashing Now In Custody
- 3rd Person Linked To Dean Murder Investigation
- New Details In Slain Kyle Police Employee's Murder
- Documents: 2 Suspects Identified In Samantha Dean Murder
- EMS Responds To Dozens of Synthetic Marijuana Calls
- WilCo Judge Pleads Guilty To Firearms Violation, Lying To Federal Agent
- 1 Killed In NE Travis Co. Shooting
- Police Still Searching For Clues In Woman's Death
- Shoppers Shocked By Brutal Attack At South Austin HEB Parking Lot
- Twin Peaks Shooting May Have Started After Parking Lot Argument
- San Marcos Police Ask For Makeover For Military Vehicle
- UPDATE: Woman Hides In Garage As Suspected Burglars Break Into Her Home
- 170 Charged After Biker Gang Shootout In Waco
- New Intersections For Don't Block The Box Enforcement
- Local Bikers Blame Gang Label On A Few Members
- Hutto Volleyball Coach Arrest Shocks Former Player's Mother
- Hutto PD: Volleyball Coach Sexually Assaulted Teen
- Round Rock Bank Jugging Victim Speaks Out
- Fugitive Wanted For Fatal Crash Arrested After 6 Years
- Leander Police BUSting Drivers Illegally Passing School Buses
Downtown Austin Shooting Suspect Arrested
Updated: Monday, February 24 2014, 08:49 PM CST
Police have arrested a suspect in a weekend shooting in Downtown Austin's entertainment district that left two people injured.
It happened Sunday at around 2:20 a.m. near the intersection of 6th and Red River streets.
Police say 19-year-old Paul Whitley started shooting after an argument over a cell phone. A man and a woman were hit but their injuries are considered non-life threatening.
Police are now thanking witnesses for getting this man behind bars.
"Individuals gave great descriptions of the suspect that ran, which direction he ran," says Austin police detective Jarrett Crippen.
Extra officers were in the area due to the Operation Safe Passage initiative to get people home safe.
Although witnesses helped police with this arrest they still encourage you to leave when a situation is escalating. Don't try to get video or pictures. For your own safety leave the area.
Whitley is charged with two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.
(Photo from the Austin Police Department.)