- Former APD Officer Could Face Death Penalty For Girlfriend's Murder
- TCSO: Robbery Suspect Trying To Steal UT Flag Stabbed By Homeowner
- Ex-APD Officer Charged With Capital Murder In Girlfriend's Death, Held Without Bond
- 4 Arrested In Cedar Park Meth Bust
- Ex-APD Officer Sought In Samantha Dean Murder Now In Bastrop County Jail
- Llano Co. Man Sentenced To 50 Years For Toddlers Death
- Court Documents: VonTrey Clark Charged With Capital Murder
- Central TX Law Enforcement On High Alert Following String of Officer Shootings
- Man Busted Allegedly Burglarizing Popular Downtown Bar
- Man arrested after having marijuana delivered to Austin shipping store
- Construction Worker's Body Found Under East Austin Home
- APD Investigating Shot Fired Call In North Austin
- Bond Between Fayette Co. K-9, Handler Secret To Their Success
- Suspect In Killing Of Harris Co. Deputy Previously Arrested In Austin
- Man Busted For 7th DWI In North Travis Co.
- City Of Austin IT Worker Charged With Stealing Equipment
- Houston DJ Arrested In NW Austin For Alleged Home Invasion
- APD: Downtown Austin DWI Suspect Had BAC 4 Times Legal Limit
- Reward offered for arrest of sex offender who escaped Houston facility
- Parents React To Baby Carjacking In Austin
- Investigators find huge psychedelic mushroom grow operation in a house
- Man Steals Car With Baby Inside
- Food Trucks Band Together To Catch Thief
- Dashcam Video Released Of Man Shooting At New Braunfels Police Officers
- Woman Found Dead From Gunshot Wound At Pflugerville Home Identified
- APD Searching For Cigarette Burglary Suspect
- Adding Officers, Building Relationships Could Help Austin Property Crime Problem
- Police On The Hunt For Truck Wheel Thieves
- APD Looking For Owner Of Stolen East Austin Bicycle
- Austin Dad Accused Of Driving Son To School While Drunk
- Nicaraguan Man Set To Be Executed In Texas Gets Reprieve
- Police Identify Robbery Suspects Targeting Women In Downtown Austin
- New Braunfels Man Arrested On Child Porn Charges
- APD Investigates Rash Of Cat Mutilation Cases In South Austin
- Graffiti Vandals Targeting Lakeway Business
- 70lbs Of Marijuana Seized After Fayette Co. Traffic Stop
- Tickets Adding Up At Austin's Don't Block The Box Intersections
- UT student assaulted outside residence hall early Sunday morning
- Capitol Arson Suspect Brought Back To Texas
- 9 Months Pregnant Mother Helps Police Catch Burglar
- An Old Driver's License Can Be Dangerous To Leave Around
- Ex-Con Missing After Harassing Women, Violating Parole
- ICE Arrests 61 Undocumented Immigrants With Criminal Convictions
- Austin Woman Confronts, Tackles Unknown Man In Her Home
- Arson Suspected In East Austin Boarding House Fire
- Wells Fargo Bank Robbed In SW Austin
- Texas Man Again Convicted In 1976 Bus Attendant Slaying
- College Women, Including In Austin, Targeted In Prostitution Ring
- Robbery Suspect Shot By TCSO Deputy Identified
- Woman Hits Teen With Car, Drives Away Thinking It Was Prank
Former Firefighter Gets 60 Years For Lake Travis Murder
Updated: Wednesday, February 12 2014, 05:43 PM CST
A former firefighter has been sentenced to 60 years in prison for killing of his girlfriend in the summer of 2011 and dumping her body in Lake Travis.
Joe Carr, 30, was found guilty Tuesday for the murder of 22-year-old Veronica Navarro. He was also found guilty of tampering with evidence.
On Wednesday, a Travis County jury sentenced him to 60 years in prison for the murder and 20 years for the tampering with evidence charge. The terms will run concurrently, the judge decided.
Carr showed no emotion as heard the sentence.
During the penalty phase witnesses ranged from Carr's old girlfriends and co-workers to detectives and church friends. Both ex-girlfriends said Carr moved fast in their relationships and proposed a few weeks in. They said he was very angry when they broke it off.
His friends and ex-girlfriends said Carr was aggressive when he drank alcohol.
Authorities found the body of Navarro on July 6, 2011 wrapped in a tent and weighted down with a paint can.
Investigators say similar evidence found in home the couple shared linked Carr to the crime -- and parts to the same tent Navarro was found in.
Three days after the body was found, Carr attempted to enter Canada. He was stopped at the North Dakota border by U.S. Customs.
Carr was a former firefighter with the Pedernales Volunteer Fire Department.
(Photo from the Travis County Sheriff's Office)