Life's Better Outside: Hiking
It is easy to access trails in the Austin area! For example, there are 251 city parks and 12 Texas state parks within a 60 mile radius. So get outside, unwind and take a refreshing walk with your family!
Find tips on how to make a family hike fun for all with this great article from Texas Parks & Wildlife magazine The Family That Hikes Together. Then use our calendar of events to find a hiking event at a state park near you! tpwd.state.tx.us/calendar/hiking
Passport to Texas
What to bring on a day hike
- Good walking shoes
- See what experts have to say about the benefits of nature play
- Remember, pack out what you bring in: Leave No Trace!
Fun ideas for kids
- Find animal tracks
- Outdoor kid journal
- Texas Outdoor Family Workshops
- Go Fish! Learn to Fish events
- Neighborhood Fishin' lakes