Your family can experience a closer view of wildlife and scenery on the water! There are seven Texas Paddling Trails with in an hour of Austin that offer a new perspective to the world of nature. Many Texas State Parks offer great paddling experiences as well!
You do not have to be a professional paddler to get out and enjoy canoeing or kayaking. There are many places that will rent all the equipment you need, as well as teach paddling basics. Check out this Canoeing and Kayaking 101 brochure for more information on paddling clubs and organizations near you.
And if you are looking for some paddling tips before you head out, watch our featured video on how to paddle a canoe.
What You Need
- Canoe or Kayak
- Life Jacket
- Water & Snacks
- Find animal tracks
- Outdoor kid journal
- Texas Outdoor Family Workshops
- Go Fish! Learn to Fish events
- Neighborhood Fishin' lakes
- See what experts have to say about the benefits of nature play
- Remember, pack out what you bring in: Leave No Trace!