- First Day Of School For Moore Oklahoma Students Since Tornado Levels City
- Okla. City Mayor: Up To 13K Homes Hit By Tornado
- Oklahoma Twister A Top-Of-The-Scale EF-5
- Tips For Surviving A Tornado
- Tornado Explanation And Stats
- Oklahoma Tornado Path
- Oklahoma Tornado's Path Of Destruction
- Power Of Moore Tornado Dwarfs Hiroshima Bomb
- Oklahoma Tornado: How To Help
- Survivor Finds Dog In Okla. Tornado Rubble
- Oklahoma Tornado Death Toll Drops To 24
- Texas Search Team To Help After Okla. Twister
Power Of Moore Tornado Dwarfs Hiroshima Bomb
Updated: Saturday, August 3 2013, 04:06 PM CDT
Wind, humidity and rainfall combined precisely to create the massive killer tornado in Moore, Okla. And when they did, the awesome amount of energy released over that city dwarfed the power of the atomic bomb that leveled Hiroshima.
Meteorologists contacted by The Associated Press used real time measurements to calculate the energy released during the storm's life span of almost an hour. Their estimates ranged from 8 times to more than 600 times the power of the Hiroshima bomb.
Scientists know the key ingredients that go into a devastating tornado. But they are struggling to figure out why they develop in some big storms and not others. They also are still trying to determine what effects, if any, global warming has on tornadoes.
(Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)