In Depth Coverage
Northwest Austin Plane Crash
On Feb. 18, 2010 at 10 a.m., Andrew Joseph Stack of Austin flew a small plane into the Echelon 1 building in Northwest Austin, setting it on fire.
Stack took off from the Georgetown Airport soon after he set his North Austin home on fire.
Stack left a behind a note on his website stating his anger with the IRS. The building near Highway 183 and MoPac Boulevard housed IRS offices.
An IRS employee, Vernon Hunter, died in the crash.
Joseph Stack background
- Parents died when he was young. He was raised in an orphanage in Pennsylvania.
- Earned an engineering degree, became a software engineer
- Lived in California
- Divorced, has a daughter in her 20s who lives in Norway
- Moved to Austin, got married a year and a half ago, wife Sheryl, 12-year-old step-daughter
- Was the bassist for the Billy Eli Band
- Lead singer Billy Eli says he was floored and could not fathom that Stack would have done this. He was very friendly, open and happy.
Source: Billy Eli, Stack Web site