Most Shared

Live News

Live News

Morning News

Morning News

 
text size

Doctors Warning Parents About Teen "Cinnamon Challenge" Fad

Updated: Saturday, August 3 2013, 04:12 PM CDT

Poison control centers across the country say the number of calls have skyrocketed recently regarding teens gagging on a spoonful of a common spice that may be in your kitchen. 

Kids are daring each other to swallow a spoonful of cinnamon without water and, of course, post their results on YouTube.  And the results are exactly what you might expect with tons of videos of teens gagging and spitting out the orange colored powder


But this so-called “cinnamon challenge” nearly took the life of a Michigan girl.  Dejah Reed said she inhaled the power and couldn't breathe.  Her dad arrived home minutes later to finder her a pale blue color and rushed her to the emergency room. 

She ended up spending four days in the hospital suffering from a collapsed lung.  She also has to use an inhaler now.  Dejah never had breathing problems before.


Today, the web site for Pediatrics Magazine is posting a warning from the American Academy of Pediatrics about this fad.  In the post Dr. Stephen Pont, an Austin Pediatrician, says parents need to be aware of things like the cinnamon challenge and to pay attention to what their kids are viewing online. 

Dejah has setup her own web site warning teens to stay clear of the challenge that damaged her health.  It's simply nocinnamonchallenge.com.

Doctors Warning Parents About Teen "Cinnamon Challenge" Fad


Advertise with us!

Related Stories

Top Stories

 
Advertise with us!
Sponsored content