Most Shared

Morning News

Morning News

 
text size

Six Displaced, Dog Hurt After Duplex Fire

Updated: Tuesday, September 24 2013, 05:48 AM CDT
New overnight, six people are waking up without a home after a fire rips through an East Austin duplex.

Everyone made it out safely, but firefighters rushed in to save the family dog. It happened just before 1 a.m. Tuesday on Vioithia Drive near Manor and Springdale.

Firefighters are blaming heat from a generator too close to some combustibles inside the utility room for sparking the fire. Fire crews were on scene in four minutes and had the fire out 15 minutes later, but fire damage ripped through nearly the entire duplex.

A neighbor told KEYETV he could see flames down the block at one point. Firefighters say neighbors saw those flames, knocked on the door, and made sure everyone inside got out safely, but firefighters had to rescue a dog that was severely burned. Officials don’t know if the home had a working smoke detector.

Firefighters say the six people displaced will not be able to stay in the home Tuesday night due to fire and smoke damage throughout. Red Cross was called in but friends and AFD tell KEYETV those displaced will likely stay with family or friends.

Six Displaced, Dog Hurt After Duplex Fire


Advertise with us!

Related Stories

Top Stories

 
Advertise with us!
Sponsored content