- Gov. Perry Booked On Abuse Of Power Charges
- Perry Sending National Guard To Texas Border
- Cruz, Abbott: Obama To Blame For Flood Of Minors
- Sen. Wendy Davis Campaigns at Juan in a Million
- Davis Slams Abbott Over Income Disparities In Austin
- UPDATE: Asst. City Manager Placed On Administrative Leave Pending Investigation Into Conference On How To Work With Female Staff
- Hacked On The Highway
- Tech Firm Recruits People On Autism Spectrum
- Abbott Makes Border Security, Ethics Bills 'Emergency Items'
- Austin Marathon Hyvon Ngetich Crawling to Finish
- Questions Raised Over Use Of Force In East Austin SWAT Standoff
- Lt. Gov. Patrick, Gov. Abbott Inauguration Speeches
- Sex Trafficking Victim Shares Her Heartbreaking Story
- Mike Martinez Concession Speech
- Protests Continue Over NYPD, Ferguson Grand Jury Decisions
- Few Fireworks In First Texas Governor's Debate
- VIDEO: Final Texas Gubernatorial Debate- September 30
- Dallas Patient Tests Positive For Ebola, First U.S. Diagnosis
- San Marcos Smoke Shop Employee Shot During Robbery
- Police, FBI Search For Missing 2-Year-Old In SE Austin
- UPDATED: Cedar Park Police Searching For Child Missing Since July
- Attorney: Texas Gov. Perry's Booking Will Be Public
- Lawyers For Greg Kelley File Motion For Retrial
- RAW VIDEO: Flooding At Memorial Park in Round Rock
- Appeals Court: Texas Can Use Race In Admissions
- Obama Chides GOP In Austin Speech For Opposing His Agenda
- UPDATE: San Marcos Police Identify Driver In Fiery Crash That Left 2 Dead
- Texas Same Sex Marriage Ban Ruled Unconstitutional
- Texas Women Political Organizer Killed In Car Crash
- APD Releases Dash Cam Video Of East Austin Dog Shooting
- Austin Teen Victim Of 'Smack Cam' Fad
- President Obama Speech During The LBJ Civil Rights Summit
- Indictment Petition For Former APD Officer Delivered To Travis Co. DA
- Obama: Nation Draws Strength From Fort Hood
- Army: Fort Hood Suspect Had Requested Leave
- Travis County Wants Its Property Tax Money
- SXSW Crash: Man Who Shot Video Of The Crash
- SXSW Crash: Witness To Aftermath Of The Crash
- SXSW Crash: 10:30am, Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo
- SXSW Crash: 3am, Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo
- SXSW Crash: Interviews Minutes After Crash
- Snowden Appears Via Video Conference At SXSW Panel
- Chaotic Moon Taser Moon
- Gov. Rick Perry Speech At CPAC
- Caught On Video: Man Questions Round Rock Police Search
- IRS Commissioner Stops In Austin
- US Sen. Cornyn Wins Republican Nomination In Texas
- Texas Democrats Nominate Wendy Davis For Governor
- Jury Hears Testimony To Put Brandon Daniel To Death
- Daniel Trial: Prosecution Closing Arguments
Father Of West Austin Hit And Run Victim Speaks Out
Updated: Saturday, August 3 2013, 05:15 PM CDT
The father of Courtney Griffin, the victim of a May 2011 hit an run in West Austin, spoke to the media on Thursday (his daughter's birthday), saying he was astonished that the woman who killed his daughter received probation and not prison time.
Gabrielle Nestande was sentenced last week to 10 years in prison and a $10,000 fine for criminally negligent homicide – but the jury has recommended a suspended sentence and 10 years of probation.
Nestande a former staff worker at the Texas legislature admitted during the trial to being distracted by her phone that night when she hit Courtney. She was driving home from a Rainey Street bar when she hit Courtney in a bike lane.
During her trial she claimed that she thought someone had thrown a rock at her window, and that was why she did not stop. She drove to her boyfriend's home and went to sleep – she was arrested at the Capitol the next day after someone reported her damaged car to police.
During an interview Thursday, Bart Griffin said he was looking into filing a civil lawsuit against Nestande. "She was lying, it was obvious she was lying, but she still got probation," he says.
We'll have the interview attached to this story later today.