- Gov. Perry Booked On Abuse Of Power Charges
- Perry Sending National Guard To Texas Border
- Cruz, Abbott: Obama To Blame For Flood Of Minors
- Sen. Wendy Davis Campaigns at Juan in a Million
- Davis Slams Abbott Over Income Disparities In Austin
- UPDATE: Asst. City Manager Placed On Administrative Leave Pending Investigation Into Conference On How To Work With Female Staff
- Hacked On The Highway
- Tech Firm Recruits People On Autism Spectrum
- Abbott Makes Border Security, Ethics Bills 'Emergency Items'
- Austin Marathon Hyvon Ngetich Crawling to Finish
- Questions Raised Over Use Of Force In East Austin SWAT Standoff
- Lt. Gov. Patrick, Gov. Abbott Inauguration Speeches
- Sex Trafficking Victim Shares Her Heartbreaking Story
- Mike Martinez Concession Speech
- Protests Continue Over NYPD, Ferguson Grand Jury Decisions
- Few Fireworks In First Texas Governor's Debate
- VIDEO: Final Texas Gubernatorial Debate- September 30
- Dallas Patient Tests Positive For Ebola, First U.S. Diagnosis
- San Marcos Smoke Shop Employee Shot During Robbery
- Police, FBI Search For Missing 2-Year-Old In SE Austin
- UPDATED: Cedar Park Police Searching For Child Missing Since July
- Attorney: Texas Gov. Perry's Booking Will Be Public
- Lawyers For Greg Kelley File Motion For Retrial
- RAW VIDEO: Flooding At Memorial Park in Round Rock
- Appeals Court: Texas Can Use Race In Admissions
- Obama Chides GOP In Austin Speech For Opposing His Agenda
- UPDATE: San Marcos Police Identify Driver In Fiery Crash That Left 2 Dead
- Texas Same Sex Marriage Ban Ruled Unconstitutional
- Texas Women Political Organizer Killed In Car Crash
- APD Releases Dash Cam Video Of East Austin Dog Shooting
- Austin Teen Victim Of 'Smack Cam' Fad
- President Obama Speech During The LBJ Civil Rights Summit
- Indictment Petition For Former APD Officer Delivered To Travis Co. DA
- Obama: Nation Draws Strength From Fort Hood
- Army: Fort Hood Suspect Had Requested Leave
- Travis County Wants Its Property Tax Money
- SXSW Crash: Man Who Shot Video Of The Crash
- SXSW Crash: Witness To Aftermath Of The Crash
- SXSW Crash: 10:30am, Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo
- SXSW Crash: 3am, Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo
- SXSW Crash: Interviews Minutes After Crash
- Snowden Appears Via Video Conference At SXSW Panel
- Chaotic Moon Taser Moon
- Gov. Rick Perry Speech At CPAC
- Caught On Video: Man Questions Round Rock Police Search
- IRS Commissioner Stops In Austin
- US Sen. Cornyn Wins Republican Nomination In Texas
- Texas Democrats Nominate Wendy Davis For Governor
- Jury Hears Testimony To Put Brandon Daniel To Death
- Daniel Trial: Prosecution Closing Arguments
For/Against Prop 1 Tax Increase
Updated: Saturday, August 3 2013, 05:15 PM CDT
A group gathered in South Austin Tuesday to protest Proposition 1 on the November ballot for Travis County voters.
If passed, Travis County taxpayers could see a five cent tax rate increase. Essentially, on a $200,000 home that would be an extra $100 a year. That increased rate would cover 10 percent of the cost for a new University of Texas medical school.
Supporters say the medical school would give those without insurance necessary healthcare, and will help stop the doctor shortage.
But opponents say Austin and Travis County have passed bonds and tax increases before and then failed to deliver on the promised benefits.
"The 'med school' tax is another egregious instance of using local government force taxpayers to subsidize elite corporate interests. This atrocity against our citizens will economically hurt families and small businesses," says former Austin mayoral candidate Clay Dafoe.
Austin is the second largest city in the nation without a medical school.