- North Texas - Aerial Of Tornado Damage
- North Texas - Actual Tornado
- Robert Horry 1 on 1
- Deciding To Have A Double Mastectomy
- President Obama Applied Materials Speech
- President Obama Manor HS Speech
- Former President Bush Cries During Dedication
- Bush Center Dedication
- Tour of George W. Bush Center
- Video of Rosemary Lehmberg Being Booked In Jail
- 9am Friday DPS News Conference From West
- Boston Bombing Suspect Video
- Gov. Rick Perry West Explosion News Conference
- Aerials Of West Explosion Scene
- Extended Interviews With West Citizens, Witnesses
- Raw Video Of West, Texas Explosion Scene
- Eye On The Drought
- Boston Marathon: New Video Of 1st Explosion
- Boston Marathon: Slow Motion Of 2nd Explosion
- Boston Marathon: Slow Motion Of 1st Explosion
- Boston Marathon: Actual Explosion
- Boston Marathon: Aftermath Of Explosions
- Dash Cam Video Shows Firefighter Struck During Icy Bridge Pile Up
- Parents Of Courtney Griffin Statements To Gabrielle Nestande
- Speech of Pope Francis I
- Father Of West Austin Hit And Run Victim Speaks Out
- Gabrielle Nestande Punishment Phase Closing Arguments
- Rouse High School: Cool School
- Gabrielle Nestande Takes The Stand In Hit And Run Manslaughter Trial
- Raw Video Of Russian Meteor
- Former WilCo DA's Fate Now In The Hands Of Judge
- Texas Woman Finds Lost Dog After Missing Seven Years
- Texas Gov. Perry Proposes Returning Excess Taxes
- Beyonce Sings National Anthem At Inaugural
- President Obama Inaugural Address
- Interview with Matthew Eastin On Violence And Video Games
- Gov. Perry Urges Texas Lawmakers To Cut Taxes
- Interview With UT Professor Lino Graglia
- Entire DKR Memorial
- Caught On Camera: Woman Drives On Sidewalk Around School Bus
- Former Congressional Leader Dick Armey Talks About Republican Soul Searching
- US Senate Ted Cruz Victory Speech
- With Election Neck And Neck Former Congressional Leader Gives Insight
- Actor Brian Dietzen Interview; NCIS
- Former Congressional Leader Offers Perspective On Presidential Politics
- For/Against Prop 1 Tax Increase
- Jason Chaffetz Interview On Libya Attack
- Interview With Former UT Safety Lance Gunn
- Pflugerville ISD To Offer Benefits To Same-Sex Couples
- Conservatives Seize On Obama Daily Caller Video
- Paul Sadler in Uphill Race
- Man Grazed By Bullet At North Austin Gas Station
- Austin Man Hangs Empty Chair From Tree Symbolizing President Obama
- Shuttle Endeavour Over Austin 1
- Shuttle Endeavour Over Austin 2
- Ted Cruz Worried Opportunity Passing Americans By
- UT President Says Evacuation Order Was Timely
- UT Bomb Threat: UT JJ Pickle Facility
- Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo On Police Salaries
- Nate Boyer Extended Interview
- Aerial Video Of 2011 Bastrop County Fire
- Mitt Romney RNC Speech
- Clint Eastwood RNC Speech
- Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott Reaction To Voter ID Decision
- Jacks Journey
- Akin Making First Mo. Appearance Since Rape Remark
- AISD Superintendent Meria Carstarphen
- Pilot Who Crashed Ultra Light Plane At Lago Vista Airport
- Congressman Michael McCaul Interview
- Portland Man Tracks Down Bicycle Thief
- Mitt Romney Interview
- Mack Brown Talks About First Scrimmage
- Teen Band Night
- Cpl. David Castillo Interview
- Austin F1 Track Tour
- Serenity Nunez Family Interview
- Pregnancy Loophole Interview
- Austin Sikh Community Hold Vigil For Wisconsin Victims
- Extended Longhorn Practice Highlights
- Suspect In Tiny Smart Car Leads DPS Troopers On Chase
- Ted Cruz Acceptance Speech
- David Dewhurst Concession Speech
- Singer/Songwriter Supports Chick-fil-A
- Colorado Shooting Suspect James Holmes Hearing
- Gopher Lives Under Rocket Launch Pad
- Princeton Drive Burglary Surveillance Video
- ATF Video Controversy
- Tour Of Renovated Texas Governor's Mansion
- Tour Of Texas Governor's Mansion in 2008
- President Obama July 17 Austin Speech
- Detained for Open Carry, Portland, Maine
- Texas AG Abbott: Court Health Care Ruling Not A Total Loss
- UT Law Professor Gives Perspective On Affordable Health Care Ruling
- Zimmerman Reenactment
- Bus Monitor Bullied
- Police Chief Art Acevedo On Police Stress
- Caught On Camera: Cap Metro Bus Hits Pedestrian On UT Campus
Ted Cruz Worried Opportunity Passing Americans By
Updated: Wednesday, September 19 2012, 10:06 PM CDT
By now you've probably heard of Ted Cruz, who is running for the Texas US Senate seat.
He's a Harvard law graduate, the former solicitor general here in Texas and the son of a Cuban immigrant who came here with almost nothing.
But he says he is running for office because he's worried that land of opportunity is slipping away.
Having never run for public office, Ted Cruz chose a lofty starting point -- a campaign to replace Texas' senior senator, Kay Bailey Hutchison. It was an improbable candidacy for the newcomer and that was pretty apparent early on.
"When we started two and a half years ago we were at two percent in the polls and nobody gave us a prayer. We saw $50 million spent in this campaign. We were outspent three to one," says Cruz.
But Cruz survived an ugly and expensive primary slugfest against Republican Texas Lt. Governor David Dewhurst and will now face off in the general election against former Texas State Representative Democrat Paul Sadler, who Cruz hardly makes mention of, focusing instead on a more prominent democrat he is prepared to dig in against after November.
"I think it is very likely if Barack Obama is reelected he will prove to be even more radical in a second term," Cruz says."I will spend every waking moment leading the effort to stop that because I think it would cause great damage to our nation."
But the policy of always working to stop the other side has paralyzed this congress and helped drive down the body's approval rating to an all time low. Still, Cruz is betting that Americans are more turned off by the work congress has been doing than the work it hasn't been getting done.
"Both parties are to blame. What they are doing doesn't make sense. Our country is going broke. Our national debt is greater than our gross domestic product and I think just about every American is looking to Washington and is asking what is wrong with these people."
That kind of talk has made him popular with the Tea Party, though he doesn't label himself as a candidate of the movement. "I am very proud of the Tea Party. I am very proud of the support I have received from the Tea Party. I think the tea party is one of the most exciting things to happen in politics in decades."
Cruz says he'll work with the Tea Party and the president, "I will work with anybody, Republicans, Democrats, Libertarians, Independents -- I will work with Martians if, and the if is critical, they are willing to get serious about shrinking the size, power, and spending of the federal government."
But Cruz is certain that his ambition to drastically reform the tax code. "You know the IRS has more words than the bible," he says.
But abolishing the IRS isn't possible under the current president. "His principles are so profoundly wrong," says Cruz.
So before he has to make good on his pledge that he would work with President Obama, the ambitious outsider is simultaneously campaigning to get himself into office -- and get the president out.
By Jason Wheeler.