Most Shared

Live News

Live News

Top Stories

Top Stories

text size

Ohio Boy's Throat Rebuilt After Being Burned By Battery

Updated: Wednesday, August 27 2014, 03:52 PM CDT
CINCINNATI, OH (WKRC)-- A tiny battery nearly killed a 4-year-old boy, after severely burning his throat.

Now the child's mom and doctors are warning others of the dangers of children and button batteries.

One day before another surgery at Cincinnati's Children's hospital, 4-year-old Emmett Rauch and his mom joined his doctors to talk about an all too hidden danger, the tiny lithium batteries known as button batteries.

"When we tried to do research on it there was nothing out there about it, just a small article by the national poison control and that's when we decided this is what our mission is," said Karla Rauch.

Barely 1-year-old at the time, Emmett swallowed on of the quarter size batteries. The battery became lodged in his throat and no one knew what was wrong.

"We ended up taking him to an urgent care because it was a Saturday and they sent us home with a cold diagnosis, saying it's one of those things that was going to get worse before it gets better," Rauch said.

But things got much worse. Two days later, Emmett was in the emergency room.  "And an x-ray was taken and they could see the button battery lodged in his esophagus they could actually see the serial number on the battery in the x-ray," Rauch said.

The battery virtually burned through Emmett's throat and almost killed him.  He was left unable to breath, eat, or speak on his own.

Two years ago, Dr. Daniel von Allmen used a pice of Emmett's colon to rebuild his esophagus. On Wednesday, Dr. Allessandro de Alarcon will use a piece of rib to give him a natural airway and more of a voice.

In a couple of months, they hope his own parents will be able to remove his trach tube for good.

Original story: Boy's Throat Rebuilt After Being Burned By Battery

Advertise with us!

Related Stories

Advertise with us!
Sponsored content