- Trump: 'I Swear' My Hair Is Not A Toupee
- Texas Police Say Man 'Obsessed' With Woman, Corpse Missing
- Body Of Woman Taken From San Antonio Funeral Home
- Snakes Infest Houston Home
- Experts warn 'DIY braces' trend can ruin teeth
- Maine Woman Finds Deadly Spider In Grapes
- Florida Mom Caught Using Son To Start Car With Breathalyzer
- Former President George W. Bush Not Chosen For Dallas Jury
- Man Rolling Under Moving Train Caught On Camera
- Aggressive Cobra Found At Houston High-Rise Apartments
- Drunk driving suspect found naked on barn roof
- Man dismissed from jury duty for wearing prisoner costume
- Police: man baked potato, raked leaves during break-in
- Houston-Area Man Sues After Flooding Displaces Wife's Casket
- Slow Police Chase From Fort Worth To Arlington Ends In Crash
- Dead Hog Tied To Beaumont School's Flagpole
- Medical Marijuana Available For Texas Pets
- Woman Eats 3 Steak Dinners In 20 Minutes
- Colorado Dog Gets Prosthetics For All 4 Legs
- Elephant Hauler Gets Stuck; Pachyderms Keep Truck Upright
- Man Trains Dog To Walk
- Man's Body Found In Fireplace
- Debates Rage Over Color Of Dress Photographed In Rare Light
- Mission To Mars Gets Real For Former Austinite
- Woman Loses Eyesight From Cat Lick
- Austin Grill Has Valentine's Day Drink, Earrings For $30K
- 'George Jefferson' Haircut A Hit
- 'Professor Dumpster' Wraps Up Year Living Inside East Austin Dumpster
- Texas 4th Grader Suspended Over Lord Of The Rings Reference
- Rattlesnakes Visit Texas Capitol
- After Being Hit By Car Tampa Cat Crawls Back From Grave
- Man Finds Car Part In Arm From Wreck 50 Years Ago
- Santa Firefighter Saves Man From Burning Home
- UT Starts Investigation Into Missing Human Brains
- AP: Charles Manson Gets Marriage License
- Father Of 'Affluenza' Teen Arrested In North Texas
- Professor Dumpster Upgrades To AC
- Caterpillar Stings Sending Central Texans To ER
- Kinky Couple: West Virginia Woman Walks Naked Man On A Leash
- Bear Wanders Around Convenience Store
- Car Slams Into NY Gas Station, Catches Fire
- Man Charged With Stealing Human Skin From Hospital
- Malaysia Says Cadbury Chocolates Free From Pork
- Bear Caught Lounging On Hammock
- Robbery Suspect Friends Victim On Facebook
- Deer Runs Through NC Hospital
- Urban Legend Confirmed, Atari E.T. Games Found In Landfill
- Newlywed Get Selfie With Pope
- Houston Man Pays $5,000 for Return of Missing Cat
- 'Miracle Man' Dies Again
Texas City Now Features See-Through Bathroom In Town Square
Updated: Saturday, August 3 2013, 09:47 PM CDT
Bizarre. A public bathroom in a Texas town square with completely see-through walls! But don't worry... you can only see from the inside out.
The bathroom in Sulphur Springs, about 40 miles north of Tyler and it is being touted as the first of its kind in the United States. It's modeled after an Italian artist's exhibit that also features a see-through bathroom.
One by one Sulphur Springs residents are giving the all glass bathroom a whirl. You can pretty much see the crowd hanging outside -- even watching you. But thanks to the finely-engineered craftsmanship, they can't see you.
"I was excited about it," resident Meredith Caddell says. "I think it's just really unique and I've been standing outside long enough to know that I could not see in. But it was strange when you had four men standing there looking in the door. But they couldn't see me."
There are a couple of things that had to be changed in order for the restrooms to meet code.
"There's no steel frame holding up the architectural exhibit, and so this has a stainless steel frame inside. And the other one had see-through glass on all four walls, and this one has it on three. We had to have a place to hide all the plumbing and air conditioning and heating. This is heated and cooled, unlike the one that the artist did. So this meets code, for one, and it's a lot more durable, I think, in the long run," Marc Maxwell, Sulphur Springs City Manager, says.
The city says for citizens who may be wondering if these restrooms are safe to have on the square, all you have to do is look up.
"If you take a look around, we've got nine cameras here on this square watching what goes on, and they're all monitored at the police department. And they're all recorded in high-definition color. Trust me. This is the last place a creep wants to hang out," Maxwell says.
But after two cups of coffee and a long drive to Sulphur Springs, it was definitely a place I wanted to hang out. The city says they have already gotten calls from all over, asking about the restrooms.