- FEMA Denies Aid To West For Explosion
- West Football Field Center Of Controversy
- West Explosion Victim Thanks Her Lifesavers
- ATF: West Explosion Cause Undetermined
- Crime Not Ruled Out In West Blast: Sources
- Willie Nelson Gives $120K For Explosion Relief
- Texas Firefighters Focused Concern On Toxic Gases
- After West Disaster, Little Discussion On Soil Issues
- West Plant Explosion Cause Announced Today
- Paramedic Who Responded To West Blast Charged
- Email: West EMT Dismissed 2 Days After Blast
- State Criminal Investigation Of West Explosion Begins
- Hours Adjusted For West Disaster Recovery Center
- West Fertilizer Plant Targeted By Thieves In Past
- Lawmakers Want Answers In West Explosion
- West Explosion Takes Center Stage At state Capitol
- Smoke From West Plant To Be Part Of The Investigation
- Hundreds Seek Help After West Plant Explosion
- 100 West Residents Still Waiting To Enter Homes
- Relatives Honor West First Responders In Video
- President Obama To West, Texas: 'You're Not Alone'
- Fathers, Firefighters: Lives Lost In West, Texas
- Marathon Runner Witnesses Boston, Texas Disasters
- Westboro Church Plans To Protest West Funeral
- Students help West survivors
- President Obama Going To Service For West Explosion Victims
- School Underway In Tiny Texas Town Hit By Blast
- 4 More First Responders Killed In West Blast ID'd
- West Residents Back In Homes
- Federal Lawmakers Inspect Scene Of Blast In West
- 12 Dead, 200 Injured In West Explosion
- Search On For Those Missing In West
- West Pulling Together As A Community
- How To Help: West, Texas Emergency Resources
- West Man A Humble Hero
- West's Worse Fear Comes True
- Texas Mobilizes To Help West
- West Residents Face Death, Destruction After Explosion
- Perry: Nightmare Scenario After West Explosion
- Federal Investigators To Probe West Plant Blast Cause
- West Fertilizer Plant Cited For '06 Permit Violation
- Pope Francis Tweets Prayers For Texas Explosion Victims
- Texas National Guard At Site Of West Plant Blast
- West Fertilizer Plant Cited in 2006
- Texas Environmental Agency Monitoring West
- Statement From The President On Explosion In West
- West Explosion Kills Up To 15
- Another Deadly Texas Blast 66 Years Ago
- Willie Nelson Sends Prayer Tweet After West Blast
- Multiple Deaths Reported After Waco-Area Fertilizer Plant Explosion
- Some Firefighters Unaccounted For After West Blast
- Police: 5 To 15 People Killed In West Explosion
Students help West survivors
Updated: Monday, April 22 2013, 05:51 PM CDT
After the tragic fertilizer plant explosion, rebuilding the tiny town of West, Texas is going to be a long process to say the least.
A group of students from the University of Texas and Austin Community College organized a relief drive on Sunday to help the victims of the disaster.
Boxes and bags were filled with supplies, clothes along with several other items for care packages.
ACC student Marcelo Urieta said the group received enough donations to fill up more than 150 donation bags.
"When we heard about the tragedy in West, Texas we wanted to help right away," Urieta said. "We are all about giving back to the community, and when we see somebody needs our help, we are there to help them. This is what we get as volunteers a smile on people's faces is what's worth it for us."
The students that teamed up for the drive are part of "Circle K International" chapters with their schools. The organizations are committed to community service and giving back.
UT student Gio Anais said the support from Central Texas has been mind-boggling.
"Our term is 'live to serve, love to serve' so just seeing the smiles in those families is going to brighten their day," Anais said. "It was so good. It wasn't only college students, it was Austin and the community helping out it just brought a smile"
Whether donations come in the form of cash, clothes or shampoo, the students hope the survivors feel the support from Austin and around the country.
By Cassie Gallo