West Nile Virus
- West Nile Virus Threat For Summer In Texas Unknown
- 2 More West Nile Deaths Confirmed In Travis County
- Texas State Fair Operators Hoping To Keep West Nile Away
- Central Texas Man Can't Walk After West Nile Infection
- Should You be Worried about West Nile?
- North Texan At Least 55th Texas West Nile Death
- El Paso Woman At Least 54th Texas West Nile Death
- Health Officials Expect Fewer Cases Of West Nile After Rains
- Another West Nile Death Reported In North Texas
- CDC: Nation On Track For Deadliest West Nile Year
- 2 More West Nile Deaths Reported In North Texas
- Different Approaches to Handling West Nile Threat in Central Texas
- Special West Nile Broadcast
- Georgetown Spraying Pesticide To Keep Mosquitoes At Bay
- 3rd West Nile Death Confirmed In Travis County
- Questions Remain For Austin West Nile Spraying
- West Nile Found Across Austin
- Advice For Clearing Mosquitoes, Avoiding West Nile Virus
- Mosquito Relief For Central Texas Still Months Away
- Breaking Down West Nile Virus Risk
- El Paso Reports West Nile Death, TX Death Toll Climbs To 44
- West Nile Worriers Crowd ER's
- Worst Year Ever For West Nile In Texas
- Substantial Percentage Of West Nile Cases Being Confirmed by Blood Banks
- 2nd West Nile Death Confirmed In Travis County
- Officials Report 36th Texas West Nile death
- Texas West Nile Cases More Than Double In 2 Weeks
- 2 More Texas West Nile Fever Deaths Reported
- 2 More West Nile Fever Deaths Reported In Texas
- 4 More West Nile Deaths Reported In Texas
- Pesticide Alternatives To Ward Off Mosquitoes
- Researchers Make Progress on West Nile Vaccine
- Dallas Area West Nile Virus Spraying Interrupted
- Williamson County, Like Texas, Having Unusually Bad Year For West Nile
- West Nile Death Confirmed In Williamson County
- Dallas-Area Aerial Spraying For Mosquitoes Starts Thursday Night
- Dallas Signs Up For Aerial Spraying Over West Nile Virus
- West Nile Virus Changing Behaviors
- 17 Cases Of West Nile Virus Reported In Travis County
- How Many West Nile Cases Warrant Mosquito Spraying in Austin?
- 2 Diagnosed With West Nile Virus In Williamson County, 2 in Hays County
- Texas Seeing Bulk Of West Nile Cases
Breaking Down West Nile Virus Risk
Updated: Saturday, August 3 2013, 09:47 PM CDT
Texas is setting a new record, but not the kind of record the Lone Star State would like to be setting. So far, 2012 has been the worst year ever for West Nile Virus.
Texas continues setting records for its worst year ever for West Nile Virus, with the death of a 77-year-old El Paso man bringing the total up to 44, nearly half of the nation’s West Nile Virus deaths. The Centers For Disease Control says nationwide, cases are up 25% over the last week and expected to rise even further over the next several weeks. But how likely are you to actually get the virus?
When it comes to actually getting West Nile Virus, experts say your chances are low. Even in parts of town where the virus is going around, the state says very few of the mosquitoes are infected with the virus.
What if a mosquito bites you that does carry the virus? Doctors say your odds of becoming severely ill are extremely low: about 1 in 150. Still, more than 500 people in Texas have come down with the severe form of the virus. Big signs to watch out for: severe headaches, confusion, inability to stand or walk, muscle weakness, neck stiffness. Doctors say to see them if you experience those symptoms, which could last several weeks and cause permanent neurological damage. Death is rare, but as we’ve seen, it can happen. If you’re over 50, you have the highest risk of infection. If your immune system is weakened, your odds go up too.
The CDC says about 80 percent of people infected show no symptoms at all, and the other nearly 20 percent come down with the milder version, which includes symptoms like fever, headache, body aches, and swollen lymph nodes. Most of these symptoms last a few days, though people in good health have been known to be sick for several weeks. There’s no specific treatment and no vaccine, but doctors say for the milder form, the illness usually passes on its own.
For more information:
Austin-Travis County Health and Human Services: https://www.austintexas.gov/westnile
Texas Department of State Health Services: http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/idcu/disease/arboviral/westnile/
By Adam Bennett