- 2015 Big 12 Wooly Bully
- Astros move up Taylor Swift concert for possible playoff run
- No Spieth Slam: Jordan Comes Up Short at Open
- Steve Patterson: Keep the Change?
- Longhorn Taylor Funk Wins 109th Southern Amateur
- Steve Patterson Under Pressure
- Mason Crosby "Kicks It" Back at Home
- Oh, Deere! Spieth Wins Another John Deere Classic
- That's a Rap: Texas Exes Dish on Daje
- Spieth Shoots Career Best 61 to Lead John Deere
- Winners Crowned at UA/Jordan Spieth Championship
- Jordan Spieth Wins U.S. Open
- Longhorns Lend a Hand in Wimberly
- Spieth Stands 18 Holes from U.S. Open Title
- UT Austin announces independent review of basketball academics
- Diamond Departures for Longhorns
- World Cup Company at UT
- Massive Surf Park Coming To Austin In 2016
- Texas Season Ends with 8-1 Loss to DBU
- Oregon State's Eckert Has Texas Ties
- Texas Wins Big 12 Baseball Title
- Texas to Play for Big 12 Baseball Title
- A Dom-inant Lacrosse Presence
- Shaka Smart 1 on 1: Part II
- Shaka Smart 1 on 1: Part 1
- Josh Hamilton Returns to Round Rock
- Pfast Pflugerville Pfamily
- NFL Finds Patriots Employees Probably Deflated Balls
- Cowboys Catch Free-Falling Gregory
- Malcom Brown Drafted by Patriots
- Texas Swept by TCU
- Isaiah Taylor to Return for Junior Season at Texas
- Austin in Play for MLS Expansion
- Express Host 5th Annual Bark in the Park
- Spring Separation? Swoopes Still Longhorns Starter
- ESPN Reporter Suspended Over Rant Caught On Video
- Coaching Connection: Shyatt Has History with Barnes and Shaka
- Hail Mary Highlights Texas State Spring Game
- Buyouts For Shaka Smart, Rick Barnes Add Up For UT
- Texas Hires Shaka Smart
- Rick Barnes Era Ends at Texas
- Boyer, Harris Turn Heads Again
- Texas is One and Done at NCAA Tournament
- March On: Texas Selected for NCAA Tournament
- Texas Wins on Walk-Off to Start Big 12 Play
- Andy Roddick Foundation Welcomes Tony Dungy
- Buzzer Beater Bounces Longhorns
- Texas House Panel Mulls Open, Campus Carry Proposals
- Bright Knights
- Texas Swats Kansas State on Senior Day
A Buda-Ful Tribute
Updated: Saturday, August 3 2013, 09:47 PM CDT
In three months, hardhats and bulldozers will be replaced by half pipes and heel flips, when this site is home to Buda's first skate park.
"It really is something that the community needs," said Todd Ruge, Mayor of Buda.
And while you'll never catch them on a board, Rebecca and Tony Norris will be as much a part of this park as the rails and ramps. The facility will bear the name of their late son.
"He'd be very proud of it, that's for sure," said Tony Norris, Jackson's father. "We would probably have a hard time keeping him out of it."
Jackson Norris received his first skateboard when he was seven. By age 10, he was hooked.
"Snow, rain - it didn't matter what the weather was," said Rebecca, Jackson's mother. "He skated every day."
He'd make the 25-mile trip to Lockhart with his best friend, because Lockhart had a skate park and Buda did not. On June 21, 2011 - Norris, carrying his skateboard while trying to cross Highway 183, was struck by a pickup.
"It was 2:17 when I picked up the phone," recalled Rebecca. "It was Jackson's best friend's mother."
Jackson, just 15 years old, died the following day.
"What he did in a short period of time [on this earth] was remarkable," said a tearful Tony Norris.
While Rebecca and Tony are left without a son, and Reagan without a big brother, Jackson did not leave this world without making an difference. Seven of Norris' organs were saved and donated to seven different recipients. Ginny Russ drove from San Antonio for Thursday's ceremony. She received Jackson's right lung.
"I owe my life to Jackson, Rebecca and Tony," Russ said. "I wouldn't have missed this. I just wouldn't have missed this."
Norris's best trick wasn't even on a board. With his smile, Jackson perfected the art of the pick-me-up.
"He had the gift of hugging and he had the gift of laughter," said Rebecca. "He could make anything funny. We laughed every day. We laughed every hour."
Dedicated to the memory of the teen who could brighten anyone's day, this fall, the Jackson Tyler Norris Memorial Skate Park will make Buda a brighter place.
by Adam Winkler
To learn more about organ donation:
Texas Organ Sharing Alliance
Donate Life Texas