- The Freshmen Takeover
- Friday Night Rivals - Week 0
- Friday Night Rivals: Get all the scores here!
- Katrina 10: Javan's Storm Story
- Soccer Assist Creates Chances for Youth
- Cowboys Drop Preseason Game to 49ers
- Few QB Highlights in Texans Loss to Denver
- Baylor Player Sentenced To 6 Months Of Jail For Sex Assault
- Texas State 'Well Equipped" for Florida State
- Cowboys, Rams End Practice Early After Fights Break Out
- Spieth Short at PGA, but Takes Over Number One
- Spieth Stalks 3rd Major of Year
- In a Class of Their Own
- Court sketches of Tom Brady cause social media flurry
- Feds detail why they want Lance Armstrong's medical records
- Longhorns Leadership: Does QB Demeanor Matter?
- Texas Trifecta: Breakout Players
- Omar Uresti Gets Another Major Shot
- Wimberley's Recovery With a Nice Ring
- The Fate of TCU's 2015 Season
- WWE Hall of Famer Roddy Piper dies at 61
- Tom Brady's suspension upheld by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell
- 2015 Big 12 Wooly Bully
- Astros move up Taylor Swift concert for possible playoff run
- No Spieth Slam: Jordan Comes Up Short at Open
- Steve Patterson: Keep the Change?
- Longhorn Taylor Funk Wins 109th Southern Amateur
- Steve Patterson Under Pressure
- Mason Crosby "Kicks It" Back at Home
- Oh, Deere! Spieth Wins Another John Deere Classic
- That's a Rap: Texas Exes Dish on Daje
- Spieth Shoots Career Best 61 to Lead John Deere
- Winners Crowned at UA/Jordan Spieth Championship
- Jordan Spieth Wins U.S. Open
- Longhorns Lend a Hand in Wimberly
- Spieth Stands 18 Holes from U.S. Open Title
- UT Austin announces independent review of basketball academics
- Diamond Departures for Longhorns
- World Cup Company at UT
- Massive Surf Park Coming To Austin In 2016
- Texas Season Ends with 8-1 Loss to DBU
- Oregon State's Eckert Has Texas Ties
- Texas Wins Big 12 Baseball Title
- Texas to Play for Big 12 Baseball Title
- A Dom-inant Lacrosse Presence
- Shaka Smart 1 on 1: Part II
- Shaka Smart 1 on 1: Part 1
- Josh Hamilton Returns to Round Rock
- Pfast Pflugerville Pfamily
- NFL Finds Patriots Employees Probably Deflated Balls
Augie Garrido: "No. I'm Not Confident."
Updated: Saturday, August 3 2013, 09:47 PM CDT
The last time the University of Texas baseball team went an entire
season without winning a single conference series was 1956. With only one conference weekend left in the 2013 season, the Longhorns have
yet to win a Big 12 series. Texas is 0-and-7 with a three game set vs. TCU remaining.
In the midst of one of the worst
seasons of his career, Texas head baseball coach Augie Garrido sat down
one-on-one with KEYE TV's Adam Winkler. Here are the topics discussed in part two of the interview:
Is Garrido confident that this team can flip the switch and turn things around with a late run and possibly win the Big 12 tournament?
"No, I'm not confident," Garrido admitted. "And you might say 'well that's the problem.' Here's the problem: we haven't been able to do things consistently or hold onto things for very long. That's the mental toughness part. I realize I'm telling on myself now. That's a coach's job, but I'm not afraid of the truth."
What can a season like this do to a coach's emotions? Are the failures of this team frustrating?
"I'm damn disappointed. I'm mad. I'm mad as
hell," said Garrido, in his 17th season at Texas. "But that's just
personal. Professionally, I have to find a way to get this corrected. As
the Texas coach, my professional responsibilities are to find
solutions. I can't find them if I'm blaming someone else. I can't find
them if I'm not positive and I can't fake that."
Garrido is 74 years old. How many more seasons like this or seasons in general for that matter can he put up with?
"There won't be another season like this," Garrido said sternly. "Because we'll solve the problem."
So Garrido has no plans to retire?
be here to solve the problem unless [Texas Athletics Director DeLoss
Dodds] fires me," Augie confirmed. "I'm not moving away. I've been
through this six times. The reason the highlights are there are because
of seasons just like this. It was never going to happen again. It did.
So if there's a highlight film, it's built on all of what happens here
in the cellar."
Texas hosts Texas Southern in a doubleheader Saturday for its final home games of the season.
By Adam Winkler