- Cowboys Drop Preseason Game to 49ers
- Baylor Player Sentenced To 6 Months Of Jail For Sex Assault
- Texas State 'Well Equipped" for Florida State
- Cowboys, Rams End Practice Early After Fights Break Out
- Spieth Short at PGA, but Takes Over Number One
- Spieth Stalks 3rd Major of Year
- In a Class of Their Own
- Court sketches of Tom Brady cause social media flurry
- Feds detail why they want Lance Armstrong's medical records
- Longhorns Leadership: Does QB Demeanor Matter?
- Texas Trifecta: Breakout Players
- Omar Uresti Gets Another Major Shot
- Wimberley's Recovery With a Nice Ring
- The Fate of TCU's 2015 Season
- WWE Hall of Famer Roddy Piper dies at 61
- Tom Brady's suspension upheld by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell
- 2015 Big 12 Wooly Bully
- Astros move up Taylor Swift concert for possible playoff run
- No Spieth Slam: Jordan Comes Up Short at Open
- Steve Patterson: Keep the Change?
- Longhorn Taylor Funk Wins 109th Southern Amateur
- Steve Patterson Under Pressure
- Mason Crosby "Kicks It" Back at Home
- Oh, Deere! Spieth Wins Another John Deere Classic
- That's a Rap: Texas Exes Dish on Daje
- Spieth Shoots Career Best 61 to Lead John Deere
- Winners Crowned at UA/Jordan Spieth Championship
- Jordan Spieth Wins U.S. Open
- Longhorns Lend a Hand in Wimberly
- Spieth Stands 18 Holes from U.S. Open Title
- UT Austin announces independent review of basketball academics
- Diamond Departures for Longhorns
- World Cup Company at UT
- Massive Surf Park Coming To Austin In 2016
- Texas Season Ends with 8-1 Loss to DBU
- Oregon State's Eckert Has Texas Ties
- Texas Wins Big 12 Baseball Title
- Texas to Play for Big 12 Baseball Title
- A Dom-inant Lacrosse Presence
- Shaka Smart 1 on 1: Part II
- Shaka Smart 1 on 1: Part 1
- Josh Hamilton Returns to Round Rock
- Pfast Pflugerville Pfamily
- NFL Finds Patriots Employees Probably Deflated Balls
- Cowboys Catch Free-Falling Gregory
- Malcom Brown Drafted by Patriots
- Texas Swept by TCU
- Isaiah Taylor to Return for Junior Season at Texas
- Austin in Play for MLS Expansion
- Express Host 5th Annual Bark in the Park
Hays Wins State Softball Title
Updated: Saturday, August 3 2013, 09:47 PM CDT
For the first time in school history, a team from Hays High School has a UIL state championship. The Lady Rebels defeated Lucas Lovejoy in thrilling fashion Saturday to win the class 4A state softball title.
In a game that saw 32 combined hits and 19 combined runs, Hays (32-10) defeated Lovejoy, 11-8. The game was tied 8-8 in the top of the 7th before the Lady Rebels erupted with an incredible two-out rally.
Addie Vayas got things going with an infield single. She advanced to second on a throwing error. Next up was title game MVP Hannah Ramsey, who singled up the middle scoring Vayas and giving Hays a 9-8 lead. That was the Lady Rebels' fifth different lead of the day.
The next batter, Clarissa Gonzalez, also singled up the middle. Ramsey scored her third run of the game to put the Lady Rebs ahead 10-8. The rally continued with a Haleigh Madden single, followed by a Brayden Pinckard RBI single up the middle. When it was all said and done, Hays scored three runs on five hits with two outs in the seventh and final inning.
Starting pitcher Sarah Leal allowed just one hit in the bottom of the seventh, as Hays prevented the Leopards from answering their scoring for the first time all game. Prior to the final inning, Lovejoy had scored in the bottom of every inning in which the Lady Rebels scored in the top of the frame.
Leal induced an Amanda Gray fly out to left to end the game and give Hays the 4A championship.
by Adam Winkler