- Judge lets Brady play, ruling against NFL in 'Deflategate'
- The Freshmen Takeover
- Friday Night Rivals - Week 0
- Friday Night Rivals: Get all the scores here!
- Katrina 10: Javan's Storm Story
- Soccer Assist Creates Chances for Youth
- Cowboys Drop Preseason Game to 49ers
- Few QB Highlights in Texans Loss to Denver
- Baylor Player Sentenced To 6 Months Of Jail For Sex Assault
- Texas State 'Well Equipped" for Florida State
- Cowboys, Rams End Practice Early After Fights Break Out
- Spieth Short at PGA, but Takes Over Number One
- Spieth Stalks 3rd Major of Year
- In a Class of Their Own
- Court sketches of Tom Brady cause social media flurry
- Feds detail why they want Lance Armstrong's medical records
- Longhorns Leadership: Does QB Demeanor Matter?
- Texas Trifecta: Breakout Players
- Omar Uresti Gets Another Major Shot
- Wimberley's Recovery With a Nice Ring
- The Fate of TCU's 2015 Season
- WWE Hall of Famer Roddy Piper dies at 61
- Tom Brady's suspension upheld by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell
- 2015 Big 12 Wooly Bully
- Astros move up Taylor Swift concert for possible playoff run
- No Spieth Slam: Jordan Comes Up Short at Open
- Steve Patterson: Keep the Change?
- Longhorn Taylor Funk Wins 109th Southern Amateur
- Steve Patterson Under Pressure
- Mason Crosby "Kicks It" Back at Home
- Oh, Deere! Spieth Wins Another John Deere Classic
- That's a Rap: Texas Exes Dish on Daje
- Spieth Shoots Career Best 61 to Lead John Deere
- Winners Crowned at UA/Jordan Spieth Championship
- Jordan Spieth Wins U.S. Open
- Longhorns Lend a Hand in Wimberly
- Spieth Stands 18 Holes from U.S. Open Title
- UT Austin announces independent review of basketball academics
- Diamond Departures for Longhorns
- World Cup Company at UT
- Massive Surf Park Coming To Austin In 2016
- Texas Season Ends with 8-1 Loss to DBU
- Oregon State's Eckert Has Texas Ties
- Texas Wins Big 12 Baseball Title
- Texas to Play for Big 12 Baseball Title
- A Dom-inant Lacrosse Presence
- Shaka Smart 1 on 1: Part II
- Shaka Smart 1 on 1: Part 1
- Josh Hamilton Returns to Round Rock
- Pfast Pflugerville Pfamily
Pigskin Powers Succeed In NCAA Tournament
Updated: Saturday, August 3 2013, 09:47 PM CDT
Florida vs. Michigan at Cowboys Stadium. It sounds like a marquee match-up on a Saturday in the fall, rather than a showdown in the Elite Eight. But here in Texas, where we don't have four seasons, we have just two - football season and spring football season, Florida and Michigan have made us punt on the notion that you cannot have a winning basketball program at a football school.
"I not only wanted to coach at this level, I wanted to coach it at a place where football was king, where football was terrific," Michigan head men's basketball coach John Beilein said. "Because it gives you all kinds of opportunities in recruiting. It gives you great resources."
"Predominantly in the south it's always going to be a football region, but I think we've done a good job of making basketball well known," said Florida forward Erik Murphy. "We get unbelievable support from the school."
Florida head men's basketball coach Billy Donovan pointed at the Longhorns as an example of a perennial football power. "Texas has great football tradition," said Donovan. "The passion you see in football, per se, we have that same passion in our own building on our (basketball) home games. But you've got to in some way get people to understand or see that the perception of this football or people labeling things is not necessarily accurate."
There are 345 schools that play Division I men's basketball. Only ten have won an NCAA title in football and men's hoops. Florida and Michigan are two of those ten.
The other eight are: Arkansas, Cal, Maryland, Michigan State, Ohio State, Stanford, Syracuse and UCLA.