- Tom Brady's suspension upheld by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell
- 2015 Big 12 Wooly Bully
- Astros move up Taylor Swift concert for possible playoff run
- No Spieth Slam: Jordan Comes Up Short at Open
- Steve Patterson: Keep the Change?
- Longhorn Taylor Funk Wins 109th Southern Amateur
- Steve Patterson Under Pressure
- Mason Crosby "Kicks It" Back at Home
- Oh, Deere! Spieth Wins Another John Deere Classic
- That's a Rap: Texas Exes Dish on Daje
- Spieth Shoots Career Best 61 to Lead John Deere
- Winners Crowned at UA/Jordan Spieth Championship
- Jordan Spieth Wins U.S. Open
- Longhorns Lend a Hand in Wimberly
- Spieth Stands 18 Holes from U.S. Open Title
- UT Austin announces independent review of basketball academics
- Diamond Departures for Longhorns
- World Cup Company at UT
- Massive Surf Park Coming To Austin In 2016
- Texas Season Ends with 8-1 Loss to DBU
- Oregon State's Eckert Has Texas Ties
- Texas Wins Big 12 Baseball Title
- Texas to Play for Big 12 Baseball Title
- A Dom-inant Lacrosse Presence
- Shaka Smart 1 on 1: Part II
- Shaka Smart 1 on 1: Part 1
- Josh Hamilton Returns to Round Rock
- Pfast Pflugerville Pfamily
- NFL Finds Patriots Employees Probably Deflated Balls
- Cowboys Catch Free-Falling Gregory
- Malcom Brown Drafted by Patriots
- Texas Swept by TCU
- Isaiah Taylor to Return for Junior Season at Texas
- Austin in Play for MLS Expansion
- Express Host 5th Annual Bark in the Park
- Spring Separation? Swoopes Still Longhorns Starter
- ESPN Reporter Suspended Over Rant Caught On Video
- Coaching Connection: Shyatt Has History with Barnes and Shaka
- Hail Mary Highlights Texas State Spring Game
- Buyouts For Shaka Smart, Rick Barnes Add Up For UT
- Texas Hires Shaka Smart
- Rick Barnes Era Ends at Texas
- Boyer, Harris Turn Heads Again
- Texas is One and Done at NCAA Tournament
- March On: Texas Selected for NCAA Tournament
- Texas Wins on Walk-Off to Start Big 12 Play
- Andy Roddick Foundation Welcomes Tony Dungy
- Buzzer Beater Bounces Longhorns
- Texas House Panel Mulls Open, Campus Carry Proposals
- Bright Knights
The Underdog: March's Best Friend
Updated: Saturday, August 3 2013, 09:47 PM CDT
If dogs are man's best friend. Underdogs are March's best friend.
"The underdog role is always, the best role," said Pacific forward Lorenzo McCloud.
And this weekend in Austin, the underdogs stick out like neon orange laces on black shoes. Northwestern State and Pacific are the two lowest seeds here and the only two teams not from a major conference.
NSU, the 14th seed, is not just another small conference cupcake. The Demons lead the NCAA in scoring thanks to their up-tempo offense.
"When we get teams going faster than they usually do, it causes turnovers in our favor," said Demons forward Marvin Frazier.
And sometimes, like in last weekend's Southland conference title game, that high octane offense is too much to take in a natural state - even for Donna Anderson, the Demons number one fan.
"I ran out of Tylenol, I ran out of nerve pills, the sleeping pills didn't even help sleep that night," said Anderson.
Sleeping pills or no sleeping pills, don't blame Pacific if this postseason run feels like a dream. Tigers head coach Bob Thomason has already announced his retirement after 25 seasons at his alma mater, so every win extends his career one more game.
"It's been movie-like almost, to try and be able to send him out like this," said Pacific forward Tony Gill. "Hopefully we can get a win or two in the NCAA tournament and that would be just icing on the cake."
"He's [Coach Thomason] a great guy and we've got a great program," said Pacific fan Bing Kirk. "We pride ourselves for graduating 98 percent of our players the last 25 years."
Pacific and Northwestern State, two teams with geographic names hoping to map out the same destination - the next round.