- Friday Night Rivals - Week 0
- Friday Night Rivals: Get all the scores here!
- Katrina 10: Javan's Storm Story
- Cowboys Drop Preseason Game to 49ers
- Few QB Highlights in Texans Loss to Denver
- Baylor Player Sentenced To 6 Months Of Jail For Sex Assault
- Texas State 'Well Equipped" for Florida State
- Cowboys, Rams End Practice Early After Fights Break Out
- Spieth Short at PGA, but Takes Over Number One
- Spieth Stalks 3rd Major of Year
- In a Class of Their Own
- Court sketches of Tom Brady cause social media flurry
- Feds detail why they want Lance Armstrong's medical records
- Longhorns Leadership: Does QB Demeanor Matter?
- Texas Trifecta: Breakout Players
- Omar Uresti Gets Another Major Shot
- Wimberley's Recovery With a Nice Ring
- The Fate of TCU's 2015 Season
- WWE Hall of Famer Roddy Piper dies at 61
- Tom Brady's suspension upheld by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell
- 2015 Big 12 Wooly Bully
- Astros move up Taylor Swift concert for possible playoff run
- No Spieth Slam: Jordan Comes Up Short at Open
- Steve Patterson: Keep the Change?
- Longhorn Taylor Funk Wins 109th Southern Amateur
- Steve Patterson Under Pressure
- Mason Crosby "Kicks It" Back at Home
- Oh, Deere! Spieth Wins Another John Deere Classic
- That's a Rap: Texas Exes Dish on Daje
- Spieth Shoots Career Best 61 to Lead John Deere
- Winners Crowned at UA/Jordan Spieth Championship
- Jordan Spieth Wins U.S. Open
- Longhorns Lend a Hand in Wimberly
- Spieth Stands 18 Holes from U.S. Open Title
- UT Austin announces independent review of basketball academics
- Diamond Departures for Longhorns
- World Cup Company at UT
- Massive Surf Park Coming To Austin In 2016
- Texas Season Ends with 8-1 Loss to DBU
- Oregon State's Eckert Has Texas Ties
- Texas Wins Big 12 Baseball Title
- Texas to Play for Big 12 Baseball Title
- A Dom-inant Lacrosse Presence
- Shaka Smart 1 on 1: Part II
- Shaka Smart 1 on 1: Part 1
- Josh Hamilton Returns to Round Rock
- Pfast Pflugerville Pfamily
- NFL Finds Patriots Employees Probably Deflated Balls
- Cowboys Catch Free-Falling Gregory
- Malcom Brown Drafted by Patriots
The Underdog: March's Best Friend
Updated: Saturday, August 3 2013, 09:47 PM CDT
If dogs are man's best friend. Underdogs are March's best friend.
"The underdog role is always, the best role," said Pacific forward Lorenzo McCloud.
And this weekend in Austin, the underdogs stick out like neon orange laces on black shoes. Northwestern State and Pacific are the two lowest seeds here and the only two teams not from a major conference.
NSU, the 14th seed, is not just another small conference cupcake. The Demons lead the NCAA in scoring thanks to their up-tempo offense.
"When we get teams going faster than they usually do, it causes turnovers in our favor," said Demons forward Marvin Frazier.
And sometimes, like in last weekend's Southland conference title game, that high octane offense is too much to take in a natural state - even for Donna Anderson, the Demons number one fan.
"I ran out of Tylenol, I ran out of nerve pills, the sleeping pills didn't even help sleep that night," said Anderson.
Sleeping pills or no sleeping pills, don't blame Pacific if this postseason run feels like a dream. Tigers head coach Bob Thomason has already announced his retirement after 25 seasons at his alma mater, so every win extends his career one more game.
"It's been movie-like almost, to try and be able to send him out like this," said Pacific forward Tony Gill. "Hopefully we can get a win or two in the NCAA tournament and that would be just icing on the cake."
"He's [Coach Thomason] a great guy and we've got a great program," said Pacific fan Bing Kirk. "We pride ourselves for graduating 98 percent of our players the last 25 years."
Pacific and Northwestern State, two teams with geographic names hoping to map out the same destination - the next round.