- WWE Hall of Famer Roddy Piper dies at 61
- Tom Brady's suspension upheld by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell
- 2015 Big 12 Wooly Bully
- Astros move up Taylor Swift concert for possible playoff run
- No Spieth Slam: Jordan Comes Up Short at Open
- Steve Patterson: Keep the Change?
- Longhorn Taylor Funk Wins 109th Southern Amateur
- Steve Patterson Under Pressure
- Mason Crosby "Kicks It" Back at Home
- Oh, Deere! Spieth Wins Another John Deere Classic
- That's a Rap: Texas Exes Dish on Daje
- Spieth Shoots Career Best 61 to Lead John Deere
- Winners Crowned at UA/Jordan Spieth Championship
- Jordan Spieth Wins U.S. Open
- Longhorns Lend a Hand in Wimberly
- Spieth Stands 18 Holes from U.S. Open Title
- UT Austin announces independent review of basketball academics
- Diamond Departures for Longhorns
- World Cup Company at UT
- Massive Surf Park Coming To Austin In 2016
- Texas Season Ends with 8-1 Loss to DBU
- Oregon State's Eckert Has Texas Ties
- Texas Wins Big 12 Baseball Title
- Texas to Play for Big 12 Baseball Title
- A Dom-inant Lacrosse Presence
- Shaka Smart 1 on 1: Part II
- Shaka Smart 1 on 1: Part 1
- Josh Hamilton Returns to Round Rock
- Pfast Pflugerville Pfamily
- NFL Finds Patriots Employees Probably Deflated Balls
- Cowboys Catch Free-Falling Gregory
- Malcom Brown Drafted by Patriots
- Texas Swept by TCU
- Isaiah Taylor to Return for Junior Season at Texas
- Austin in Play for MLS Expansion
- Express Host 5th Annual Bark in the Park
- Spring Separation? Swoopes Still Longhorns Starter
- ESPN Reporter Suspended Over Rant Caught On Video
- Coaching Connection: Shyatt Has History with Barnes and Shaka
- Hail Mary Highlights Texas State Spring Game
- Buyouts For Shaka Smart, Rick Barnes Add Up For UT
- Texas Hires Shaka Smart
- Rick Barnes Era Ends at Texas
- Boyer, Harris Turn Heads Again
- Texas is One and Done at NCAA Tournament
- March On: Texas Selected for NCAA Tournament
- Texas Wins on Walk-Off to Start Big 12 Play
- Andy Roddick Foundation Welcomes Tony Dungy
- Buzzer Beater Bounces Longhorns
- Texas House Panel Mulls Open, Campus Carry Proposals
UT Football Enters Charlie Strong Era
Updated: Monday, January 6 2014, 06:43 PM CST
New Texas football coach Charlie Strong says the Longhorns will field a mentally and physically tough team as he tries to push the program back among the national elite.
Texas introduced its new coach at a 45-minute news conference Monday. Strong breezed through with jokes and smiles before ending it with a "Hook'em Horns" hand signal.
Strong went 23-3 in the final two of his four seasons at Louisville, and succeeds Mack Brown who stepped down after 16 years as Longhorns head coach.
"We will recruit with fire and we will recruit with passion," Strong said.
Strong said he wants assistant coaches with Texas ties. He said he wants to control Texas first, then cherry pick other states such as Florida.
"If you surround yourself with the right people, it's no pressure," he said.
Strong talked about his coaching philosophy.
"I'm a football coach. I just want to change kids' lives," he said.
Strong said he wants to develop them right attitude with his players and he wants them to graduate but…
"It's all about championships in the end," he said.
He took over a Cardinals team coming off three straight non-winning seasons and proceeded to turn the program around. Louisville went 37-15 under Strong, but compiled an impressive 23-3 mark over the past two years. The Cardinals captured a pair of Big East Conference championships and posted a 3-1 record in bowl games during his tenure.
Prior to Louisville, Strong spent 15 seasons as an assistant at Florida during four stints, including seven years as the defensive coordinator (2003-09). He was also the defensive coordinator at South Carolina.