KEYE-TV - Search Results
Northwest Austin New Year's Day Fire Leaves 4 Homeless
Four people are homeless on New Year's Day after a fire damaged their home in Northwest Austin.
It happened at around 6 a.m. in the 8700 block of Sparta Lane, east of Hwy 183 and north of Anderson Mill Road.
Officials with the Austin Fire Department say the residents were awakened by a smoke alarm and were able to escape without injury.
Investigators say the fire appears to have started from problems with fireplace construction and was accidental.
The attic and roof were heavily damaged -- estimated at $80,000 to the structure and $25,000 to the contents.
The displaced family of four displaced are now staying with family, according to AFD.