KEYE-TV - Search Results
AFD: Cigarette Started Fatal Northwest Austin Fire
Investigators say an improperly discarded cigarette started the fatal fire that swept through a Northwest Austin fourplex and killed an elderly woman.
It happened last Friday afternoon in the 11800 block of Alpheus Avenue, just north of Duval Road between Hwy 183 and MoPac.
Fire officials say heavy fire was coming out of the building when first responders arrived. Crews searched in heavy flames for a reported elderly victim – that person was found and pronounced dead at the scene. Authorities say the elderly woman might have been bedridden. Paramedics treated two others at the scene who were not seriously hurt.
Fire officials say the improperly discarded cigarette started the fire in an upstairs unit.
The fire forced eight people from their homes.