KEYE-TV - Search Results
Alert Child, Public Help Catch Pflugerville Suspected Child Predator
Police credit tips from the public in the arrest of a suspect in an attempted kidnapping in Pflugerville.
Police arrested Justin Michael Johnson, 23, Thursday evening.
The attempted kidnapping happened at around 7:15 a.m. Wednesday on the hike and bike trail on Quiet Water Pass, just east of SH 130 and south of Kelly Lane.
The two girls, ages 9 and 10, told police they were walking to Murchison Elementary School when a man approached them from behind. He put his hand on one of the girl's shoulders. When the girl screamed, he put his hand over her mouth. The other girl ran away and the girl held by the man was able to break free and run to safety.
At a news conference this morning, Pflugerville police said a boy at an area Target saw a man that matched the suspect's description. Also police received email tips and a photo of a truck that looked suspicious.
Investigators say Johnson confessed to Wednesday's incident and several others dating back to Dec. 18.
Johnson, from Hutto, has no prior record. He is currently being held in the Travis County Jail.
Pflugerville PD timeline of the investigation:
- Dec. 18 6 p.m.: Report of a male subject grabbing a juvenile female in the greenbelt area off of Spiedel Dr. (Travis County Sheriff's Office)
- Dec. 18 7 p.m.: Report from a citizen observing a male fitting the description of the subject running off of the hike and bike trail near Farm Pond Lane. (Travis County Sheriff's Office)
- Feb. 1 3:18 p.m.: Pflugerville police respond to a suspicious circumstances case where male cursed at children.
- Feb. 13 7:15 a.m.: Two juvenile females are approached on the hike and bike trail in the 2500 block of Quite Water Pass, one grabbed and suspect attempted to re-strain her. Girls fled to school and reported.
- Feb. 13 9:20 p.m.: Citizen and child are at Target and child observes a man matching description. Parent contacts Pflugerville police.
- Feb. 14: Email and phone call tips, including photographs of a suspicious truck are provided to Pflugerville police.
- Feb. 14: Kelly Lane Middle School video of Feb. 13 morning, shows same vehicle as received in tips driving in the area before the attempted kidnapping.
- Feb. 14, late afternoon: Investigators contact Johnson at his residence and he voluntarily comes in for interview. Johnson confesses to all incidents later that night. Search warrants are executed on Johnson’s truck and residence.